Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Easter Door Wreath

Decided to make a wreath rather than spend a lot of money on a pre-made one. Probably would have worked out if I had been more savvy about buying the ribbon. As it is, I probably spent as much or more on the homemade wreath. Here it is and some pictures as to how I accomplished it.



To loop the ribbon in these loops, I thought of tying a shoe. I passed a loop of ribbon under the wire and then tied it to the ribbon strand. I used more ribbon than I thought I would, hence the unanticipated cost. For this 10-12" wreath I needed about 10-12 yards of ribbon per row of loops. There are three rows of loops on the finished wreath.


To make the wreath look fuller and finished in the inside edge, I crocheted the ribbon around the inner wire.


Here is the wreath after all the ribbon is looped. 



Finally, I hot glued the eggs in place. 

What I would do differently: Find a cheap source of ribbon or make rag ribbons from an old sheet. I think the rag ribbons would look really cool, so if some one tries it, please send me a pic. I use real eggs with the rag ribbons and dye them with natural dyes. They should come out looking very antique and would go well with rag ribbon. 

With this wreath, I should have glued velcro patches in the wreath and on the eggs, Then when Easter passed, I could have swapped the eggs out for flowers and kept it up a little longer. 

All it all it was a fun project!


No comments:

Post a Comment